Editorial
The government has confirmed that Martyrs’ Day on June 3, 2026 will remain a public holiday despite the postponement of the annual commemorations at Namugongo over Ebola concerns.
In a press release dated May 18, 2026, in a statement signed by ED Allan Kasujja at the Uganda Media Centre indicated that Martyrs’ Day, observed on 3rd June, 2026 remains a Public Holiday.Day celebrations after an Ebola outbreak was confirmed in the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.
Yesterday, Prsident Museveni said the decision was reached after consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, citing the risk posed by the movement of thousands of pilgrims from eastern Congo into Uganda.
“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak,” Museveni said in a statement. “To safeguard everyone’s lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed.”
The President noted that a new date for the religious commemorations would be communicated later.
Martyrs’ Day is one of Uganda’s largest religious gatherings, attracting Catholic, Anglican and other Christian pilgrims from across Africa to Namugongo to commemorate the Uganda Martyrs killed in the 19th century for their faith.
Foot Pilgrims at Kasese
At the time of postponement, The Animating Diocese at the Namugobgo Catholic shrine, Kasese Cathoic diocese under the leadership of Bishop Kibira had welcomed foot pilgrims from Congo, awaiting the setting off for Namugongo on May 19.
The annual event typically draws tens of thousands of worshippers, including large delegations from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania and South Sudan.
Authorities say the decision to suspend the physical celebrations was necessary to prevent possible cross-border transmission of the Ebola virus, particularly the rare Bundibugyo strain currently reported in Congo’s Ituri Province.
WHO Raises International Concern
The World Health Organization has already raised concern over the outbreak after dozens of deaths and hundreds of suspected infections were reported in affected areas.
Uganda has also heightened surveillance and screening at border entry points after recording at least one imported Ebola case linked to the outbreak.
Museveni urged pilgrims who had already started traveling to return home and continue observing preventive measures, including reporting suspected cases and seeking immediate medical attention for anyone showing symptoms.
“We regret any inconvenience caused, but the protection of life must come first,” the President said.
Despite the postponement of the religious gathering, the government’s latest communication confirms that Ugandans will still observe June 3 as an official public holiday.